It is feared that the opening of Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium will be delayed after travellers drove onto the new pitch area on Tuesday morning.
According to reports from the scene, the procession of caravans arrived shortly after 6.30am, gaining access through a gap in the outer perimeter.
One of the travellers, who didn’t want to be named, told Southend News Network that the spot was ‘ideal’ as the site already has full running water, electricity and Wi-Fi.
He added: ‘We wanted to use West Ham’s new ground at first, but technically it is council land so legally we would have had a few problems.’
‘Access to this place has been incredibly easy – a chunk of one of the stands at White Hart Lane has been missing all season so we all just drove through it.’
‘The whole thing is pretty ironic really when you think about it. Most Spurs fans spend their entire waking lives accusing Arsenal of being ‘Greenwich Gypsies’ so, you know, fuck ’em.’
A spokesperson for Tottenham Hotspur confirmed that they are in the process of taking legal action to remove the visitors, but also said that there could be delays as their lawyers are still tied up trying to get a refund for Adel Taarabt and David Bentley.
He added: ‘In the event that we cannot have them removed in good time, we may have to speak to Wembley Stadium about extending our season-long arrangement – things have gone really well for us there so far.’
In another development, it has also been reported that another set of travellers have moved onto the pitch at nearby Emirates Stadium.
The Arsenal board sent their best team of negotiators down to discuss the matter with the new arrivals, saying in a statement: ‘We are delighted to confirm that they have agreed to leave by August 2024.’